Chicken and Artichoke Bake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 chicken thighs, skinless
- 8 ounces chicken breast, boneless/skinless, raw
- 1 tablespoon margarine, canola-based, trans-fat free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 2 lemons
- 1 pound artichoke hearts, fresh, cooked or canned
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Trim any excess fat from chicken; cut each breast half cross-wise into 2 pieces.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, melt margarine with olive oil. When hot, add chicken, in 2 batches if necessary to avoid crowding, and brown lightly on both sides, turning once, 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Using tongs, transfer to a baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the sage.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the onion (peeled and chopped). Sauté until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of water, stirring to dislodge any browned bits. Bring to a boil, raising heat if necessary, and pour over the chicken.
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice from one of the halves over the chicken. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes, basting several times. Turn the chicken over, add the artichoke halves, squeeze the other half of the lemon over top, and sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon of sage.
- Continue to bake, basting occasionally, until chicken and artichokes are tender, about 20 minutes longer. To test, cut into chicken – it should be no longer pink inside and juices should run clear.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken and artichokes to a warmed serving dish. Season to taste with lemon juice from remaining lemon, and black pepper. Pour the juices over the chicken.
- Serve with garlic mashed potatoes, if desired.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 6 cups ready-to-serve romaine lettuce
- 6 ounces canned albacore tuna in water, drained
- 2 baked potatoes, unpeeled, sliced
- 2 cups cooked green beans
- 8 black pitted olives
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place lettuce in a large salad bowl. Top with tuna, sliced potatoes, green beans, olives, and tomatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve salad with balsamic vinegar and black pepper on top.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 32 mushrooms (any type), large
- 6 ounces cream cheese, fat-free
- ½ cup cheese, Swiss, low-fat, shredded
- 6 ½ ounces crab, canned, drained
- 2 tablespoons chives, fresh
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Clean mushrooms and remove stems.
- Place the mushroom caps hollow-side down on a baking sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes until slightly softened.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain. Allow to cool for 10 minutes or more. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, Swiss cheese, crabmeat, chives, and garlic.
- Wash and dry the same baking sheet. Turn the mushroom caps hollow-side up and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Spoon the crab mixture in small mounds into the mushroom cavities.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until slightly golden and cheese is melted. Serve hot.